About the Project
The Path to Better Sleep Course was developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Mental Health Services. Original content was created by:
- Carolyn J. Greene, Ph.D., VA Mental Health Services, Web Services.
- Christi S. Ulmer, Ph.D., DBSM,Durham VA Healthcare System and Duke University Medical Center.
- Leah Farrell-Carnahan, Ph.D., Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center and Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center.
- Margaret-Anne Mackintosh, Ph.D., VA National Center for PTSD, Pacific Islands Division.
- The VA Pugent Sound, Sleep Medicine
PROMIS sleep assessment measure used by permission of [healthmeasures.net]HealthMeasures, Department of Medical Social Sciences at Northwestern University. Permission granted August 7, 2020.
The creators of this course greatly appreciate the generous contributions of the Veteran Mentors: Greg Akers, William Bethea, Ronald Blake, Bobby Brown, Shuren "JoAnne” Bunch, Dawn Dawson, Lori Evanochick, John Fleming, Cynthia Gatling, Will Johnston, Guilford Jones, Sarah Kirby, and John McKissack, who graciously shared their own stories to help others.
Recommended Citation for Path to Better Sleep Course:
Greene, C. J., Ulmer, C. S., Farrell-Carnahan, L., & Mackintosh, M. (2017, November). Path to Better Sleep Course. Retrieved from http://www.VeteranTraining.va.gov/insomnia
Recommended Citation for Sleep Check-up:
Ulmer, C. S., Greene, C. J., Farrell-Carnahan, L., & Mackintosh, M. (2017, November). Sleep Check-up. Retrieved from http://www.VeteranTraining.va.gov/checkup
Recommended Citation for the PROMIS assessment:
Buysse, D. J., Moul, D. E., Germain, A., Yu, L., Stover, A. M., Dodds, N. E., Johnston, K. L., Shablesky‐Cade, M. A., & Pilkonis, P. A. (2010). Development and validation of patient‐ reported outcome measures for sleep disturbance and sleep‐ related impairments. Sleep, 33(6), 781‐92.
This course is partially based on:
Department of Veteran Affairs. (2018). Improve your sleep: A self-guided approach for veterans with insomnia. Download a copy here.
Recommended Citation for Improve your Sleep: A Self-Guided Approach for Veterans with Insomnia (Self-Help Workbook):
Ulmer CS, Farrell-Carnahan L, Hughes JM, Manber R, Leggett MK, Tatum J, and the Mid-Atlantic (VISN 6) Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC). (2018). Improve your Sleep: A Self-Guided Approach for Veterans with Insomnia (Self-Help Workbook).
- Speakers are recommended, but transcripts and closed captioning are provided for those without these items and for the hearing impaired.
- Headphones are optional.
- A microphone is not needed.
- Web Browsers:
- Browser Settings::
- Enable Cookies so you can save information, as well as your progress in the course.
- Delete Browser Cookies if you have finished a session on a public computer or have completed the course.
- Turn off Pop-up blocker as pop-ups are used throughout the course to present additional information.